Monday, June 9, 2008

A Quick View of My Plants for Mom

I know my mom gets a little antsy not being able to look in on my flower beds since she moved to Atlanta so I thought I would give a little photo update to show her that everything is just growing wonderfully. I also noticed on Saturday how beautiful my gardenia looked outside of Ella's window so I wanted to show it off.

Look at the new growth on my holly! Wow, I have to say I think I'm doing a great job...actually, my highly acidic soil helps a lot. :-)


This is my favorite plant in my yard because it has a story (I LOVE things that have a story!). Until my wedding day I had no idea what a gardenia was. I had 2 gigantic gardenias in my bridal bouquet and I've fallen in love with their wonderful scent. My mom gave this to me for my birthday (upon my asking for it...I do ask for weird things for my birthdays) the year Ella was born and I had her plant it right outside of Ella's window so I could rock my baby girl and look at my beautiful plant. However, as of Saturday, the story no longer stops there.
Four year-olds are truly at a wonderful age. Developmentally they are starting to understand so many more complex ideas, two of them being how plants grow and life cycles. On Saturday, the gardenia caught Ella's attention for the very first time. She has noticed the green plant several times when we've been outside working in the beds, but on Saturday she saw the flowers and was so excited. "Mommy, look! That plant can make flowers!" She also noticed that some of the flowers were "dirty" so we had to talk about how the flowers die. She made the comment "Of course Mommy! They have to die so more flowers can grow!" Well, duh mom.
We then got to talk about how that plant got there (so I could rock Baby Ella and admire it) and she proceeded to tell me that "Her Flowers" were now 4 years old, too. I continue to love my-oops, I mean Ella's-gardenia and will now have to figure out a way to transplant it whenever we decide to finally move. Who knows, maybe someday I will be able to give it to my Baby Ella so she can sit and rock her baby and look at "Her Flowers."

PURSON...what a great gift! And you thought it was a weird gift for me to pick out.

So enough of the mushy sentimental stuff. Here are a few more pictures for Mom to check.

Day Lilies...gorgeous! How I ended up with one set of yellow and the rest maroon???

Mom, what's this? I'm pretty sure that it's not a weed.

Another beautiful holly...look at that new growth!


So that's a quick view of my flower beds for my mother. Everything's going well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are gorgeous!

Arlene,
Puyallup flowers

Anonymous said...

Well, I managed to hold it together while I was reading your tear-jerker blog entry....I must say you have done a fine job tending the shrubs. It's genetic, you know. :) It gives me hope that someday you will like to dig as much as I do. Then you can carry on the tradition by planting shrubs in Ella's yard! Look out, Ella!